- How could it be rape, you were married?
- If you just had more faith, you wouldn't be going through all of these hard things.
- Fast and pray, and you will be cured. (From an eating disorder?? Are you kidding me??)
- You don't look too sick. Are you sure you have an eating disorder?
- Feeling depressed? You just need to give more service. Give more to others, and you will feel better.
- Just eat.
- Are you sure you want to eat THAT? It has a lot of... (fill in the blanks: fat, calories, sugars, whatever.)
- You are such a good person - taking the stairs.
- (and closely related) Why are YOU on the elevator? You look healthy enough.
- One flight! You took the elevator for one flight!?! (yes. I was dizzy. I didn't feel like taking the stairs. Get over it!)
- You sure spend a lot of money on food. Really, your food budget should be next to nothing.
- To Amanda: If you just lose weight, then you will feel better about yourself, and then no more eating disorder! (From a dr!!)
- To Katie: Just take out your earrings, and you will be cured!
- If you're in pain, just take pain killers.
- You just need to pray and read the scriptures.
- If you were more righteous, you wouldn't be struggling with all of this... (Right, have YOU read the scriptures EVER?)
- If you just.... (Fill in the blank with anything. Anyone who says you need to just do ANY one thing doesn't have a clue, turn and run!)
- You have no physical scarring - this is all emotional. If you wanted to get over it, you would have done it by now.
- Its not that hard...
- You just need to forgive them.
- You think food will make you feel better? (I was dizzy... YES!)
Monday, February 16, 2009
Stupid Things People Say
My friend, Katie, and I have talked about writing this list down for a long time, but I never have. I am afraid I have forgotten some of the best ones... If you don't understand why something is on the list, then we need to talk. Comment, or email me, or call me. Please!
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
People say really stupid things. I think sometimes people are just so trapped inside themselves that they can't understand someone else's needs or problems well enough to say something intelligent.ReplyDelete
I know I've been guilty of it in the past. I've found a magic key that worked in my life and I want to share that magic key with everyone else. Unfortunately, my situation is very unique, therefore my magic key is very unique.
When people say stupid things to me, I just try to recognize their good intentions, even if they are so clueless that their advice is stupid.
I mean if you would just do that everything would be just fine. (J/K, if you don't think that last line was humorous I authorize you to disregard it.)
Is it bad that I laughed at the stupidity of some these things?ReplyDelete